Importers often wonder if their shipments should ship on pallets. Lets review the pros and cons:
- Added Protection
- Easier to move multiple cartons at a time
- Receiving parties (customer or warehouses) may charge additional fees for receiving loose cartons.
- Adds weight and volume
- Increases freight costs
The type of commodity typically determines if product should be placed on pallets. Higher value and/or fragile goods typically ship on pallets.
Here are some pointers on building pallets:
- Shrinkwrap (aka stretchwrap)
- Banding/strapping to secure cartons to the pallet
- Edge protectors
- Label the pallets “DO NOT STACK”
- Avoid cartons overhanging the pallet
- Avoid pyramid stacking. IE. The top level is ideally a flat surface vs. just a few loose cartons
- Use heavy duty master cartons
Related: Cargo Insurance